Sunday, August 3, 2008

Joo Heng Mushroom Minced Pork Mee

I was on my way to work onboard service 87 and TV Mobile was showing Makan-sutra's KF Seetoh at the Ang Mo Kio Block 628 market which was gutted by fire on 16 October 2007. The Avenue 4 market cum hawker centre was nearby to where I was staying when I was a kid. It was my regular food haunt and my mother's source of fresh meat and vegetables, a reminiscence.

The hawker centre dished up superb food like the wanton mee, roast duck rice, braised duck rice, nasi lemak, fish soup, porridge and the popular fried oyster omelette. Not to forget the Joo Heng stall where Mr Ng would make you wait an hour or more just to get a taste of his noodles. It has been my favourite stall and Mr Ng still recognises me even though I don't frequent there anymore.

Anyway, I have totally abstained from eating pork for a very long time. But I remember that whether you have your noodles soup or dry, the flavourful dish just gets you coming back for more. If you want your noodles in soup, order it with rice vermicelli (bee-hoon), and if you want it dry, go for the mee-pok (flat yellow noodles) or mee-kia (thin yellow noodles). They come with a generous garnish of seasoned shiitake mushrooms, bean sprouts, pork and pig's liver. Buah Keras (candle nuts) was used to make the best part of it, the chilli paste.

No comments: