Saturday, April 18, 2009

Malacca Escapade

Highly stressed from my recent examinations last week, I needed a break. I wanted to escape to somewhere and unwind, to forget the world. So I booked a leave slot from my work schedule to stand-by, so that I could go anywhere I want at the last minute.

My mother had indicated she wanted to shop in Malacca. She was missing the dumplings she found the last time at Jonker Walk.

That made me approach Luxury, my favourite travel agent, to enquire on their available packages. The first quote they gave me was too hard to resist, which I eventually took it, and also got my uncle and aunt to follow.

Hotel Equatorial is a five-star hotel centrally located in Malacca itself, providing an easy access to shopping centres, food spots, the sea-side and Jonker Walk. For a two-night package at S$285 for two persons, it came with a stay at the hotel's deluxe room with breakfast, a complimentary Peranakan meal at a local restaurant and return express coach tickets.

Our trip started off on a high note with the very helpful coach captain, Habib, taking our luggage up onboard. We had the front seats just behind him giving us the opportunity to 'yak' with him.

Although an express shuttle service, it was compulsory to have a qualified Malaysian tour guide with us as our coach was a Singapore-registered one. So we had VJ, one of Luxury's very professional guides, who joined us after we cleared Malaysian Customs. As soon as we hit the North South Expressway, she gave us a clear insight of Malaysia, touching on the historical, geographical and cultural aspects. She was very knowledgeable and I had a good recap of what I learnt from secondary school.


A picture of our coach and our guide, VJ (in blue), at the Lucky Garden stopover.

Habib headed straight for our destination after a short break at Yong Peng. Exiting at Jasin, he supposedly "helped" us reach Malacca faster as when compared to using the Ayer Keroh exit. So we reached our hotel at noon and checked into our rooms, afterwhich adjourning for lunch.


Chatting with Mr Lim, owner of Nyonya Sayang

We used our vouchers at a Peranakan restaurant called the Nyonya Sayang. We were apparently astounded at the variety of dishes before us. Chap chye, sambal petai, fish, mutton rendang, omelette and ayam pongteh were some of the delicious spread we had, complemented with cendol.

Malacca is dead boring if you do not fancy history. The town offers the sights of an old Portuguese Settlement, and the Stadthuys that make its heritage. The redness of the Christ Church itself is the main attraction. Tourists who have a little time can spare a trishaw ride for 15 Ringgit.


Jonker Walk

Our activities over the next two days were shopping which practically occupied most of our time, but we also managed to catch up with some relatives. They trudged mostly around Jonker Walk in search of Peranakan tarts, snacks and the popular dumplings while I rested and isolated myself in the hotel room, trying to recover from my past few days of lack of sleep. And I also got myself a haircut from a Chinese barber at a traditional shophouse in Bunga Raya.


With relatives at Subaidah Nasi Kandar, Dataran Pahlawan Megamall


At my granduncle's house with a Peranakan dinner


Chatting over supper


Luxury Executive, our express coach

On the third day, Habib surprised us by picking us up for our return trip. He was tasked to do the Malacca Singapore shuttle again. All in all, it was a good trip and I had a well deserved break.

2 comments:

Vanilla said...

Eh Hello, glad that you enjoyed the trip.... but why not even a hint that you will be in town??

Cross Border Limousine Service said...

Hahaha! Were you in Malacca or Tampin also? It was a rather last minute thing. And I didn't want to disturb as they had planned some surprises. That's why I was quiet.