Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Overseas Trips

My first real trip overseas other than the usual Malaysia ones was in 2001, when I participated in the bilateral Exercise Thunder-warrior with the New Zealand Defense Forces. I immediately agreed when my artillery unit asked me if I was interested to go although it was held during the Chinese New Year period. I didn't regret.

New Zealand happened to be my dream holiday destination then. I have seen photographs of their hot springs, geysers, scenic snow-capped mountains and lush greenery. It was my chance to experience the country and I had an awesome 3 weeks of it.

The unit put up at Waiouru Camp, a North Island military town near the active Mount Ruapehu volcano. But the camp didn't have any more bunks for the clerks. So we put up at Helwan, an outskirt strip of military land with chalets by the trunk road and next to a sheep farm.

It was summer time and the sun set at 10pm then. We were freezing at temperatures of about 0 degrees Celsius as we were in the plains of a mountainous region. In the mornings, we woke up and dragged ourselves in the chill dashing 100 metres to the bathrooms for washing up. We then lingered outside our chalets playing with the free-roaming sheep before the trucks came to fetch us for breakfast.

Our exercise area was a vast amount of "untouched" land with freshwater streams, water so fresh and clean you could just scoop up with your hands and drink. At times, you could see wild horses, hares and raccoons running freely there.

This New Zealand trip, with its people and culture inspired me so much I wanted to see more. It was only a few months later when I completed my National Service that I made my way with my mum to Brisbane and Gold Coast in Australia.

In January 2004, I joined my church for a 10 day tour to Israel.

With a low pay then in my previous company, I struggled to save up for faraway destinations. In the meantime, I went to Phuket and Bintan.

I jumped at the chance and went to the second NATAS Travel Fair last year and booked 2 holidays. I had enjoyed Bintan thoroughly that I went back there. And the other was my holiday last November to Japan's main Honshu island.

Japan was rather an amazing and memorable experience. The Japanese are extremely gracious people and it was so nice to hang out with them. They were so welcoming and were a very polite bunch. My tour included a Shinkansen ride and visits to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Mount Fuji. I had the chance to savour Shabu-shabu, Sashimi and Bento sets. And their grilled giant crab leg was especially marvelous. Haha!

I am now targeting these destinations: Japan's Hokkaido Island, Greece, Christmas Island, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Jamaica and Mexico. And I will definitely be going back to New Zealand, Australia and Israel.

No comments: