Saturday, March 28, 2009

I just can't stop talking about my intriguing workplace

It's been weeks now and I'm still trying to find out the type of fish swimming in this stream just outside my workplace. They are native fish, and if you check out the video, the fish are actually fat and about 15 cm long. Initially, I thought they belonged to the native White Spot or Blue Panchax, Aplocheilus Panchax, which looked like guppies. But it couldn't be, since they were of a huge size, and each having a big black spot just below its dorsal fin.



I could only catch their fry using a plastic bag but it was still no use of trying to identify them. They looked like guppies.


A common local dragonfly species Neurothemis fluctuans

I am so intrigued by this place. There is always something new everyday and catching your attention. It is situated amidst a rich diversity of flora and fauna in the Central Catchment.

Here you find fast flowing crystal clear water in the drains, supposedly overflowing from the nearby MacRitchie Reservoir.

And what I didn't know until lately, the trucks here come to pump the water from the drains and streams legally, filling their tanks. This is a place of "wells" with a lot of "life-giving" water. All along I had thought that they were merely contractors, parking their trucks alongside and coming in to rest. I had not noticed the pumps sucking in water.

The words "Non Potable Water" were stashed across the tanks. The water would be used industrially or for watering our "garden city" plants along the roads throughout Singapore.

These signs popped up just two days ago, perhaps after complains of noise pollution by the Riders for the Disabled Association of Singapore.

Sounding of horns is not allowed as the horses from the association may get frightened.

Drivers need to be careful and look out for horses too.

And you do not find people riding their horses on Singapore roads, except here at Bukit Brown.

No comments: